Fun Burned in Effigy in Annual Ceremony
At the stroke of midnight on Friday, September 15, a select group of O-Aides, Dean Boyer, and 13 professors chosen by lottery met in the exact center of the Quad, dragging along with them a jolly straw effigy of Fun. As Dean Boyer began to chant the traditional elegy, the O-Aides centered the ill-fated scarecrow along the axis between Harper and the Reg and doused it in whale oil. Then, one of them tossed a match.
Boyer bellowed, “We gather here today to rechristen this campus for a new year as The Place Where Fun Comes To Die. Though some of you may have had fun over summer, it is now time to move on to theory, oh bummer.”
The O-Aides stared into the flames as the professors began to intone a Gregorian chant.
“Tomorrow,” Boyer whispered in the O-Aides' ears one by one, “the first years will arrive with haste, clueless as they stand on Fun's resting place."
As the last of the flames died down, the professors, inspired by the yearly ceremony, began consulting one another. They all agreed to schedule their midterms for Tuesday of Fourth Week and Thursday of Eighth Week, and to encourage their colleagues to do the same. The light from the straw figure faded, and the O-Aides swept away the ashes. Dean Boyer was then seen scurrying up the Rockefeller steps to curse the bells, so that they might ward off all whimsy and delight in the coming year.
Also in the news
- UC Leaks: University Plans to Build Literal "Information Superhighway" across the Midway
- The Dos and Don'ts of Sorority Recruitment
- Report: Filthy Apartment Has No-Shoes Policy
- First Year Excited to be Surrounded by Diverse Group of Assholes
- Disappointing Dollar Shake Shatters First Year
- UC Leaks: Questionable Purchases
- UC Leaks: Robot Under Mansueto Lonely, Depressed
- Letters from Home: It's Grandpa. Do They Have Free Speech on Your Campus?
- Surviving First Year in a Post Pratt-Faris Separation World
- Why a Woman Needs to Have Her Own Study Spot
- Letter from the Editors
- University Introduces Live Bears to Campus in Crackdown on Safe Spaces
- How Short Is Too Short? Dressing for Office Hours
- Fun Burned in Effigy in Annual Ceremony
- Researchers Discover Dog Dreams Exactly The Same As Dog Reality
- The UChicago Sports Cheers You Need To Know
- Why We Won’t Be Accepting the Nobel Prize for Truth-Telling